Extracting precious metals is a big job that requires some of the world's largest land vehicles to get the job done. The largest mining machines are so large they are almost mythical proportions. Only the brave and skilled among us are working with machines like this.
For an everyday person these aren't even machines one would recognize but they are amazing and worth learning about. If you happen to own or operate machines like this I'll give you a hint on what you can do to elevate your operations.
Overall, if you want to know everything there is to know about mining equipment or get a quick overview of the types of equipment you will need to set up a mining operation, you've come to the right spot.
What are the largest types of mining equipment?
The largest mining machines are called:
- The Bucket Wheel Excavator
- Hydraulic Shovel
- Haul Truck
Several types of machinery are used in mining to extract precious metals, such as gold, silver, and platinum. Some of the biggest machines used in the extraction of these metals include excavators, draglines, shovels, giant trucks, crushers, and grinding mills.
Excavators are large, tracked vehicles equipped with a bucket or other attachments for digging and moving earth. They are often used to remove overburden (the layer of soil and rock that sits on top of a deposit of ore) in open-pit mines.
You might have seen one of these in the movies. The Bagger 288, a bucket wheel excavator, was used in a 2012 film 'Ghost Rider'. This bucket-wheel excavator costs $100 million and ten years to develop and is considered the world's largest land vehicle.
Draglines: These are massive machines that consist of a boom, a bucket, and a cable. They remove overburden in open-pit mines and can dig depths of more than 100 meters (328 feet).
Shovels are large machines equipped with a bucket or scoop for digging and moving earth and rock. They are often used with trucks to transport material from the mine to a processing plant.
Trucks are large, heavy-duty vehicles that transport ore and other materials from the mine to a processing plant. Some of the giant trucks used in the mining industry can carry loads of up to 400 tons.
Crushers: These machines reduce the size of large rocks and ore to be more easily processed. They are typically used with other mining pieces of machinery, such as shovels and trucks.
Grinding mills: These machines are used to grind ore into a fine powder, which is then used to extract precious metals. They are typically used in conjunction with crushers and other mining machinery.
The Global Mining Industry
These types of heavy machinery wouldn't exist without a mining industry. If you want to tap into the business opportunities mining presents, you need more than a season of world's dangerous jobs to get started. A wide range of statistics are available related to the mining industry and the extraction of precious metals.
Here are a few examples:
- The global mining industry is worth around $10 trillion annually, with the precious metals sector accounting for a significant portion of this value.
- Gold is the most valuable precious metal, with a global market value of around $9 billion annually. The largest gold mines in the world are located in countries such as South Africa, the United States, Russia, and Indonesia.
- Silver is the second most valuable precious metal, with a global market value of around $19 billion annually. The largest silver mines in the world are located in countries such as Mexico, Peru, and China.
- Platinum is the third most valuable precious metal, with a global market value of around $9 billion annually. The largest platinum mines in the world are located in countries such as South Africa, Russia, and Zimbabwe.
- The mining industry is a major contributor to the global economy, providing employment for millions of people and generating significant tax revenues for governments worldwide.
- The environmental impact of the mining industry has been a subject of significant concern in recent years, with many organizations calling for more sustainable and responsible mining practices.
Global Mineral Producers
If you're based in the United States it's good to understand the industry in terms of its worldwide footprint. The mining industry is global, with mines and processing facilities located in countries worldwide.
Some of the countries with the most significant mining sectors include:
- China: China is the world's leading producer of many minerals, including coal, iron ore, and rare earth elements. It is also a significant copper, gold, and other precious metals producer.
- Australia: Australia is a major global producer of minerals, including iron ore, coal, copper, and gold. It is also home to some of the world's largest and most technologically advanced mining operations.
- United States: The United States is a major producer of coal, copper, gold, and other minerals. It is home to many of the world's largest and most technologically advanced mining companies.
- Canada: Canada is a significant producer of minerals, including gold, nickel, and copper. It is also home to many of the world's largest mining companies.
- Brazil: Brazil is also a significant producer of minerals, including iron ore, gold, and bauxite (the ore used to produce aluminum). It is home to many of the world's largest mining companies. It has some of the most technologically advanced mining operations in the world.
The largest heavy machinery can be costly. Make sure you're tracking location and use in order to monitor heavy machinery.
Want to know more about the solutions discussed in this article? Reach out to us, click here on your phone or dial: 1-877-732-4980.